Netra Basti is an Ayurvedic therapy that involves bathing the eyes in medicated ghee or oil. It is a popular therapy for promoting eye health and is believed to have a range of benefits. Here’s an overview of the procedure and benefits of Netra Basti:
- The patient is made to lie on their back on a massage table.
- A small dough dam is placed around the eyes, creating a well or pool.
- Warm medicated ghee or oil is poured into the well, covering the eyes completely.
- The patient is asked to open and close their eyes slowly, allowing the ghee or oil to bathe the eyes.
- The therapist may gently massage the area around the eyes to help the ghee or oil penetrate deeper.
- The therapy typically lasts for 20 to 30 minutes, after which the ghee or oil is wiped off with a clean cloth.
- Promotes eye health: Netra Basti is believed to help improve vision and relieve eye strain and fatigue.
- Relieves dry eyes: The ghee or oil used in the therapy helps to moisturize the eyes, making it an effective therapy for dry eyes.
- Reduces eye inflammation: The therapy is also known to have anti-inflammatory properties, making it useful for reducing eye inflammation and redness.
- Alleviates eye-related headaches: Netra Basti can help to reduce headaches that are caused by eye strain or fatigue.
- Balances the doshas: Netra Basti helps to balance the Vata, Pitta, and Kapha doshas, promoting overall eye health and well-being.
It is important to note that Netra Basti therapy should only be performed by a trained and qualified Ayurvedic practitioner. It may not be suitable for everyone and should be avoided in certain conditions, such as conjunctivitis, glaucoma, and cataracts. It is important to consult with a qualified practitioner to determine whether Netra Basti is appropriate for your specific needs and health conditions.