Pizhichil (also known as Sarvangadhara) is an Ayurvedic therapy that involves the pouring of warm herbal oil all over the body in a specific rhythmic manner. Here is an overview of the procedure and benefits of Pizhichil:
- The therapist prepares warm herbal oil by heating it in a vessel and then pouring it into a special vessel with a long spout.
- The patient lies on a massage table, and the therapist begins to pour the warm oil onto the body in a specific rhythmic manner. The oil is then massaged into the skin using gentle strokes.
- The massage typically lasts for 45 to 60 minutes, and the oil is continually poured over the body throughout the massage.
- After the massage, the oil is wiped off with a warm towel, and the patient is advised to rest for a few minutes.
- Relieves stress and anxiety: Pizhichil is known to have a calming effect on the mind and nervous system, reducing stress and anxiety.
- Relieves muscle tension: The warm oil used in the massage helps to relax the muscles and reduce tension, making it an effective therapy for conditions like back pain and joint stiffness.
- Improves digestion: Pizhichil helps to stimulate the digestive fire, or Agni, improving digestion and metabolism.
- Detoxifies the body: The massage helps to improve lymphatic drainage, aiding in the removal of toxins from the body.
- Improves blood circulation: Pizhichil helps to improve blood circulation, promoting the flow of nutrients and oxygen to the body’s cells, improving overall health and vitality.
- Improves skin health: The warm oil used in the massage helps to moisturize the skin and improve its texture and tone.
- Balancing the doshas: Pizhichil massage helps in balancing the Vata and Pitta doshas, making it an effective therapy for conditions like arthritis and inflammation.
It is important to note that Pizhichil therapy should only be performed by a trained and qualified Ayurvedic practitioner. It may not be suitable for everyone and should be avoided in certain conditions, such as fever, acute inflammation, and pregnancy. It is important to consult with a qualified practitioner to determine whether Pizhichil is appropriate for your specific needs and health conditions.